Accredited Bereavement Counselling Courses
Blackford Centre for Bereavement Counselling
How to help others cope with their loss of a loved one.
Bereavement can shatter individuals, drive family members apart and leave sole survivors unable to cope.
- Suicides: There are over 8,000 suicides a year in South Africa, and the figure is rising. For the bereaved, the loss is felt year after year.
- Widows: Women generally outlive men by half a dozen years. They have to cope with the loss of someone they've been with for decades. It might be the simple pat on the hand; bringing in the laundry; taking out the rubbish; or simply listening to birds as their spouse potters around the garden.
- Children: Suicide rates among teens aged 10–14 have nearly doubled in the last 15 years, according to The South African Depression and Anxiety Group (Sadag). Young people often lack coping skills, so it's even more difficult and stressful. Add to that the death of a grandparent, a sibling or even a friend at school, and you can see the pain that is caused.
- Even the loss of a life-long pet can put someone into an emotional state. And if it was a Service Animal on which they were dependent, the pain is even worse.
Could you be a Bereavement Counsellor?
- Possibly you're a professional counsellor already with a thriving practice? You might want to add new skills, and be better equipped to help people.
- You could be a physician, a teacher, or a school nurse.
- Perhaps you're the sort of person that volunteers at church, hospitals, hospices or community centres?
- Maybe you are a pastor, minister, priest or rabbi? This could be a new way to tend your flock.
- Maybe you are simply the one that everybody in the neighbourhood comes to for advice.
If you're looking to help people, training to become a Bereavement Counsellor could be the perfect job for you.
Who could I help?
Every day 1,427 people die in South Africa, many from HIV/Aids. Heart disease, stroke and TB kill many people, along with personal violence.
That leaves more than a quarter of a million annually that die from other causes such as schizophrenia, house fires, traffic accidents, accidental poisoning, and just plain old-age.
Sometimes it is expected, inevitable, and people are half-prepared for it. Sometimes it is sudden, dramatic, and devastating. It can shatter an individual, or it could galvanise the nation.
Who can you help?
South Africa is predicted to have 2.3 million children orphaned by AIDS by 2020. That's in addition to those orphaned by other causes. Still others have experienced the loss of a close family friend.
It should be no surprise that amongst all the young offenders in the legal system, a high number have experienced bereavement. Counselling might have saved them from their current harsh situation, if it had been provided.
Death through community serviceSpouses of those who work in high-risk professions such as police, fire brigade, and military personnel often acknowledge the risks, but take comfort in the statistics that of the thousands in a profession, their spouse will be spared. If tragedy ever does strike it can be absolutely crippling because they will have minimised the possibility in their own mind.
Death through misadventureThen there are the mountain climbers, the hang-gliders, the recreational parachutists, base jumpers, hunters, dirt bike riders, and white-water rafting aficionados. Those who put themselves at risk also risk the happiness of their friends and family.
Imagine the toll on loved ones following a suicide. They feel confused; they feel guilty, as if somehow they played a role in the choice that was made. They have to come to terms with the fact that it is not their fault. You can help guide them.
Death of a parent
Imagine the burden on various family members upon the death of a parent that some may not have liked, and that others were dedicated to. This is bound to cause conflicts, feelings of betrayal, disrespect, guilt, indignation, or self-righteousness.
There are those with strong personalities that feel they are responsible for holding the family together; they feel responsible financially to keep everything working. They feel they don’t have time for grief or giving-in to the “weakness” of emotion, and can remain repressed for years.
Death is everywhere – and you can help to ease the pain
You have read this far, so you know you’re interested in being a helper in the community. You want to make the world better, and you can do that, bit by bit, day by day.
We have created this training specifically for people like you. We have years of experience in Counselling, and so we have developed a comprehensive course to fully cover this important, but broad topic.
We have gone to a great deal of trouble to make sure that the course content is easy to grasp. We provide a comprehensive workbook which contains editable worksheets and forms which you can use in your own the practice.
There are no tricks here to trip you up—just valuable information that you can learn at your own pace. There is no time limitation. The speed at which you complete your studies is entirely up to you.
You will be assigned a personal tutor who will mark four specific assignments, providing feedback and insights on your progress. As well there will be six interactive assignments that will be marked by the computer. As you proceed through the course you’ll encounter 21 self-assessment exercises so you can judge your progress for yourself.
You will be provided with access to 12 videos on the various aspects of bereavement. These will provide remarkable insight for you.
You’ll have a named course advisor always available on the phone. As well you will have e-mail access to your instructor.By the end of the training you will have obtained a recognised independent qualification that demonstrates your competency. And you’ll have acquired detailed and specific information on how to set up a practice; how to find and solicit clients; and most importantly, how to manage the administration of your business.
You can make a difference
Our course provides essential techniques that you will require in order to assist those who desperately need your guidance. We provide tools, tips and ideas along with suggestions and activities that can help you expose the root difficulty for your clients. Then you’re in a position to provide a solution to the problem.
If you’ve never started a business, the process can seem intimidating; but we thoroughly explain how to set up your Bereavement Counselling practice. We’ll show you how to get it started, how to advertise it, and how to obtain clients. Unlike similar courses that are offered, we make sure that you have the knowledge to get off to a good start. A satisfied learner is our best advertising!
And once you're in practice every aspect is under your control. You may decide to do your counselling face-to-face which is an excellent method. You might set up a consulting room in your home, or travel to visit your clients.
There are alternatives such as simple consultations by email; or you can perform consultations over the telephone.
But let’s not forget about the advent of modern technology. With tablets and laptops you can have a face-to-face conference over the Internet. You can help your clients instantly, avoiding long travel times. Don’t be afraid to incorporate new technology if it will help your clients.
So why would I do this particular course?
This comprehensive and complete course will qualify you to work as a Bereavement Counsellor. Look at these outstanding features:
- All aspects of Bereavement Counselling are covered. After completing this recognised independent qualification you will be a qualified Bereavement Counsellor.
- A Personal tutor will mark your assignments. Distance-learning with the Blackford Centre does not mean impersonal.
- Your Course advisor is only a phone call away. The Blackford Centre takes the distance out of distance learning.
- Full fees refund. If after completing this course you don’t recoup the cost of the course from your earnings as a Bereavement Counsellor we will refund your course fees — we are that convinced of the quality of our value-packed course (conditions apply).
- Unlimited time to complete the course—we know how busy you are with family demands and work commitments so we have taken the pressure away from your study time. You can relax and enjoy your studies.
- 60 days full refund—if you are not happy with the course, for any reason, we will refund your money in full—no quibbles, no questions.
How will I learn?
Our experts have put a great deal of thought into designing this Bereavement Counsellor course to make it easy for you.
We provide a full range of integrated materials to help you learn faster and more easily:
- A course workbook with editable worksheets and forms
- 12 course videos demonstrating in a very clear way some of the important techniques you need to know
- 21 self-assessment tasks—these allow you to work at your own pace
- 4 assignments, which are marked by your tutor—the helpful feedback will enable you to progress rapidly and reach your full potential as a new Bereavement Counsellor
You study at your place and your pace: no stress, no deadlines, no worries.
What will I learn?
The modules cover the following major topics:
- The nature of bereavement and the different ways people respond to it.
- How to help specific categories of survivor, including children, widows, the elderly, and those affected by suicide
- Counselling skills and strategies
- Clinical tools and techniques to help your clients.
- How to set up your own bereavement practice
- And much more
We describe our course as comprehensive; and it is because it was designed by experts who have worked as bereavement counsellors. They know what you need to know and they share that invaluable knowledge with you: that is priceless.
Your new career as a Bereavement Counsellor
Bereavement Counselling is a career that requires skill, knowledge and empathy. Does this sound like you?
Do you have the desire to help others and gain a new career, one that provides rich rewards and satisfaction?
Now is the time to make the decision: start your Bereavement Counsellor training today with the Blackford Centre’s Diploma course.
Bonus: Bereavement Counsellor's Manual (Value R412)
This unique Manual contains editable forms and guides, flow charts and clinical tools. You can use it to get feedback from your client, and help them more competently.
Money Back Guarantees
We give you two guarantees:
1. Examine the course at your leisure for 60 days. And if you for any reason it doesn't meet your needs, just let us know and we'll refund your fees. No questions asked.
2. If, 90 days after completing the course, you haven't recouped the cost of the fees through working as a counsellor, we'll refund your course fees. Conditions apply
Why do we offer this? Simple. We don't want unhappy former students. We'd rather stay friends. And it stands to reason that no course can suit absolutely everyone who registers on it.
When you complete the course
Once you complete the course, you’ll receive your Diploma. It’s a formal recognition of your skills and knowledge.
We’ll send information about your success to your local newspapers if you want. It’s a good way of telling potential clients about your availability.
You can put your name on our list of Approved Bereavement Counsellors. It could bring you work.
You'll get free logos (like the one below) to put on your website and your letterhead. They give potential clients added confidence in your skills.
I encourage you to register today. Delaying this will only increase the time it takes for you to get started as a counsellor. Not helping people when you could ease their pain does both you and them a disservice.
If your role in life is to help people, surely you should be taking steps to achieve that?
It's time to get started
Having read this far, you've got what it takes - motivation. Fill out the enrolment form now, because this is where the adventure and rewards begin. It's easy to start:
- Register now for the Bereavement Counselling course by clicking here. If you need help or information, contact the Blackford Centre. Email or post the form and payment to us.
- We'll ship the course materials to you within two days.
- When you get the course, read the first module. It's laid out in an easy-to-follow format. Then do the simple first assignment. Send it to your tutor for marking. She will return it to you with friendly advice and comments.
- Do the same for the other modules, until you reach the end of the course. By then, you'll be earning money as a counsellor.
We look forward to helping you succeed.
With best wishes
an advisor on